Owning a fireplace is a luxury and regular maintenance of this heat source is a necessity. Most people ignore the fire risks due to fireplaces. Here are some fire safety tips from U.S. Fire Administration (USFA).
- Consult a certified fireplace specialist for annual inspection and maintenance.
- It’s preferable to use fire-resistant materials on walls around the fireplace.
- Use only seasoned wood to build fire
- Avoid using flammable liquids to start fire
- Extinguish the fire before leaving the room
- Install smoke alarms inside your home
- Ensure that you have installed appropriate venting system